So why are Permit to work systems important?
The importance of electronic permit systems is that they identify hazardous working environments and enable a responsible individual also known as a permit manager to carry out safety checks at each stage. It effectively places procedures that may be of high risk, first. Communication throughout the workplace requires a formal management system, the permit itself helps to distinguish roles and responsibilities with who is in charge and offers a step by step guide in working towards safety and security.
PTW is an essential part of control of work. Within this includes permit to work, hazard identification, risk assessment and isolation management. Reduction of unsafe activities within the workplace is one of the most important aspects of risk assessment. Risk Assessments and Method Statement (RAMS) Management follows five steps in assessing risk within the workplace, including – identifying the risk factors, which individuals can be harmed and how, evaluating the risk, recording the findings and monitoring and review results.
Coastal Permits provide a Permit to Work Systems to ‘control work’ and ensure the prevention of major accidents within the workplace are recognised and avoided. Permits for work can be suitable for a range industries and sectors to control high risk activities from construction work permits and commercial premises work permits to pharmaceutical and public & private health sector permits. New and modern technologies have shifted paper-based PTW’s to electronic permit system (e-Permits) that support a more efficient and effective way to deliver a safe system of work.
How are we different?
- Cloud based permit to work system
- Accessible by anyone with an internet connection and a user account
- Simple to submit and approve method statements and risk assessments
- Easy to apply for permits in advance of work, reducing the need for excessive duplication, as is the norm on paper-based systems
- Simple to review and approve permits, sending approved permits directly to the user’s inbox.
- Ultimately no more queues, no more hold ups, no delays
- In addition, it provides real time reporting, via simple and easy to read dashboard
- Seamless transition from construction, through commissioning and handover, to client occupation and maintenance thereafter
- Reporting functions
- Toolbox Talks
- Live chat
- Full technical and operational backup
Coastal Permits was formed after the owner of Coastal Consulting spent numerous years in the construction and engineering industries. A significant amount of time and money is wasted on manual type permit systems.
For example, on one recently completed mega project, it would have been the norm to see queues in excessive of 40 personnel deep, waiting upwards of an hour, to obtain a permit and permission to start work.
Figuratively speaking, that would be 80-man hours per day, 5 days per week, over 3 to 4-month period.
More broadly speaking, a loss of 6400-man hours, roughly equating to £192,000. More importantly that’s 6400 unproductive man hours.
In an age where projects are won on the promise of a timely delivery, that is unacceptable.
Taking the PTW system forward, this can be now provided to any property owner or contractor who would like to see a commonality in all of their compliance documentation from the contract ground turning through the building contact and thereafter for the lifespan of the facility.